At Kora Vera, the most important part of being in business is standing behind what we do and why we do it. To ensure this clothing line is 100% toxic free, we have personally not just spent time at our partner's manufacturing facility, but also undergone a scrutinous and rigorous inspection process. We are a hands on management team dedicated to serving our communities. Here is some information for our consumers on our certifications. We deeply value organizations like ours, whether they be suppliers, customers, retailers or quite honestly anybody in business that aspires to facilitate positive energy and change. Also, if you are reading this page, thank you for caring enough to do your homework. We value your commitment to safer clothing.
Simply stated, we are certified by the Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is recognized as the world's leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibers. It defines high-level environmental criteria along the entire organic textiles supply chain and requires compliance with social criteria as well. (This is very important as well). The aim of the standard is to define world-wide recognized requirements that ensure organic status of textiles, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labelling. This provides a credible assurance to the end consumer, yourself.
Our organic cotton is cotton from non genetically modified plants, that is to be grown without the use of any synthetic agricultural chemicals such as fertilizers or pesticides. We offer a healthier and cleaner product, but also, this must benefit the planet. Some of the contributions to the different ecosystems include:
- Protecting surface and groundwater quality (eliminating contaminants in surface runoff)
- Reduced risk in insect and disease control by replacing insecticide with the manipulation of ecosystems
- Long-term prevention of pests through beneficial habitat planting.
- Conservation of biodiversity
- Elimination of the use of toxic chemicals used in cotton
Production requirements for our pajamas are simple. To begin with, organic fields must go through a cleansing period of three years, without the use of any prohibited substances, before planting the first organic crop. Fields must also be equipped with physical barriers and buzzers in order to prevent contact of organic crops with any chemical substance product of surface runoff from crops nearby. Producers must also strive to promote soil fertility through cultivation practices while maintaining or improving the physical, chemical, and biological condition of the soil and minimizes soil erosion. Organic growers must also implement practices to support biodiversity. In addition to these practices, producers may only apply crop nutrients and soil amendments included on the National List of substances allowed in crop production. The use of volatile synthetic solvents in processed products or any ingredient that is labeled as organic is prohibited.
There are 18 certification bodies that are currently approved to certify entities of the textile supply chain and their products according to GOTS.
Definition of approved scopes:
- Certification of mechanical textile processing and manufacturing operations and their products
- Certification of wet processing and finishing operations and their products
- Certification of trading operations and related products
- Release of positive lists of chemical inputs (s.a. dyes and auxiliary agents) to the chemical industry
Our product is certified by Control Union, one of the 18 approved certification bodies. Certification covers fabrics, garments and yarn and includes dyeing, exporting, importing, knitting, manufacturing, trading and storing.
Only textiles produced and certified according to the provisions of the standard can carry the GOTS label. We are so proud to have the GOTS label. The standard provides for a subdivision into two label-grades:
Label-grade 1: ‚organic‘ - OUR PRODUCT
≥ 95% certified organic fibers, ≤ 5 % non-organic natural or synthetic fibers
Label-grade 2: ‚made with X% organic‘
≥ 70% certified organic fibers, ≤ 30 % non organic fibers, but a maximum of 10% synthetic fibers (respective 25% for socks, leggings and sportswear), as long as the raw materials used are not from certified organic origin, a sustainable forestry management program or recycled
As a reference point, here are a few other criteria’s we follow:
- At all stages through the processing organic fibre products must be separated from conventional fibre products and must to be clearly identified
- All chemical inputs (e.g. dyes, auxiliaries and process chemicals) must be evaluated and meeting basic requirements on toxicity and biodegradability/eliminability
- Prohibition of critical inputs such as toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde, aromatic solvents, functional nano particles, genetically modified organisms (GMO) and their enzymes
- The use of synthetic sizing agents is restricted; knitting and weaving oils must not contain heavy metals
- Bleaches must be based on oxygen (no chlorine bleaching)
- Azo dyes that release carcinogenic amine compounds are prohibited
- Discharge printing methods using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods using phthalates and PVC are prohibited
- Restrictions for accessories (e.g. no PVC, nickel or chrome permitted)
- All operators must have an environmental policy including target goals and procedures to minimize waste and discharges
- Wet processing units must keep full records of the use of chemicals, energy, water consumption and waste water treatment, including the disposal of sludge. The waste water from all wet processing units must be treated in a functional waste water treatment plant.
- Packaging material must not contain PVC. Paper or cardboard used in packaging material, hang tags, swing tags etc. must be recycled or certified according to FSC or PEFC
Technical Quality and Human Toxicity Criteria:
- Technical quality parameters must be met (s.a. rubbing, perspiration, light and washing fastness and shrinkage values)
- Raw materials, intermediates, final textile products as well as accessories must meet stringent limits regarding unwanted residues
- Employment is freely chosen
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labour must not be used
- Living wages
- Working hours are not excessive
- No discrimination is practised
- Regular employment is provided
- Harsh or inhumane treatment is prohibited
I hope we didn't bore you! Obviously this is really important to us and credibility and our integrity is all we are left with after a sale is made, and yes, that matters more to us than the money. We are trying to have an impact on the world and this is our first step in doing so. Please be assured you are shopping at the right place and are being serviced by people who CARE.